Friday, October 26, 2007

Paris. (Dont) Burn on you crazy city.

Paris Burning? Whose fault is it anyway? Finger pointing at it its highest. French (non-Muslims) say its the Muslims and the Muslims say vice versa.

Someone grumbled to me “Muslims everywhere are creating problem. Look at France, now.“ I jumped back. I asked the preson to see both sides of the story before passing a judgement. Then I was 'accused' of been a pro-Muslim.

I was in Paris a few years ago. Curosity has been my second nature. It pulled me to travelling in parts of the city where people generally don't go to. I landed up at Pl. de Clichy. Well I decided to explore the area. As I walked around, I realized that I had entered a ghetto like area where French Arabs and African Muslims stayed. I saw many young men in hooded jackets, hijab clad women, people huddled around bon-fires, small grocery shops and shopkeepers of this community. To say the least I retreated fast from that area.

I had never seen this side of the city. Everyone goes to the chic places but the underbelly speaks of a different sub-culture.

At that time I did not understand the implication of such a lifestyle, now I do.

Later as I walked into this chic store in a good part of the city, I faced discrimination. I was wearing a black kurta and probably mistaken for an Arab Muslim. The security kept following me thoughout the store. I never felt more humiliated in my life than this. They thought I couldn't afford buying from there (which was not true) and was probably trying to shop lift. Well, I left. Another incident regarding racial discrimination in the Paris Metro also stays in my mind.

When people say that the minority is not 'integrating' with the mainstream, I think- are they given a fair chance of that? Imagine. I was there for a few days and this happened, what about the people who have lived there for a long time who face this on a daily basis?

Statistics say that French Muslims contribute to something like 5%-10% to the total population of France. The exact figure is not availabale as it is said that the French Government doesn't carry out census survey/poll about religion. The problem comes when youth of the minority community are not given 'equal opportunities' or integrated properly in the society.

I quote BBC here: "There is a dangerous cocktail here," said Ahmed Belmokhtar, a taxi-driver of Algerian origin, like many of those who live in the poor, crime-ridden estates like Clichy, which ring Paris. He listed the rampant unemployment, heavy-handed policing, discrimination, poor housing and a concentration of large numbers of immigrants from North and West Africa, along with their descendents.

Many feel that the state ignores them at best and at worst stands in the way of their attempts to escape the estates. The country has no black or Arab TV presenters, and all MPs from mainland France are white.

While there are others who believe that because the state takes care of immigrants, they are not willing to work or 'integrate' themselves to the mainstream. They (the others) add that these minority communities think it is okay to live such a life and they don't make any efforts to become a part of the society. What do people think after burning Paris has left scars? "All this only means our taxes will have to go up to pay for the damage," said an old woman taking her poodle for a walk.

I rest my case.

Tell me, who is right? Where does the problem lie?

........................................

Also check out : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1294108.cms

Orignally posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 12:48 PM

No comments: